Friday, April 18, 2008

What's Local Sahar's Meat

Eat Local Fish

There are certain stores I shop mostly for local. Cassie's Green Grocer or Marion Street Cheese. Granted, one of my favorite things to buy at Sahar is the veal shoulder, and veal is essentially a local product to my area. I was just reading about how veal is a by-product of the dairy industry--birthed female cows join the heard, male Holstein's, well that's your veal, baby. Most veal comes from Wisconsin, including most likely what they sell at Sahar. I do not, however, necessarily think of Sahar as an eat local kinda place.

Until yesterday. Now, I will be tempted to shop there most Thursdays. It seems that every Thursday, Sahar gets a shipment of farm raised fish from a downstate company called Dallas (IL) Fish Company. Sahar carries catfish, carp and buffalo fish. As I was told, the fish is processed (that's food talk for killed) on Wednesday. The especially bloody-fresh looking carp verified that. We had other stuff we needed to eat in the house on Thursday, but I can easily see making the trip to Sahar for some freshwater fish on another Thursday.

Sahar Meat (and fish!)
4829 N Kedzie Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
(773) 583-6098

No comments: