Thursday, May 10, 2007

Local As I Wanna Be


Dinner
Wisconsin ramps, sauteed (with one dried Illinois pepper for accent); Great Lakes trout, sauteed; over puree made of Wisconsin turnips, Illinois carrots and Illinois turnips. Local parsley. California and Turkish olive oil, Morton kosher salt (local company!), Indian pepper, Michigan milk, Wisconsin butter, nutmeg from ??. Illinois lettuce salad (mesculun mix), dressing of California olive oil, indeterminate pasteurized egg, Italian red wine vinegar, salt/pepper as above. French wine. Polish water.



I hate to brag, but this was one hell of a dinner, the flavors going from the exact onionish-garlic of the ramp to the near candy sweet of the puree (excellent job with those turnips Vicki!); soft on the bottom, firm and meaty in between and bright and crunchy on top.

The techniques, were, well if I could do..As preparing local veg goes, peeling parsnips, carrots and turnips is one of the easier tasks. It took about 20 minuites in boiling water to make them soft enough. You might notice my puree is a bit on the, shall we say rustic side. I used a ricer, which worked fine if made a bit of a mess. I could have run it through a strainer to smooth, give it a restaurant quality, but I was afraid we would then not have enough for a meal. The rest was done with a big stainless steel pan, some butter and some olive oil.

No comments: