Thursday, April 22, 2004

Your teeth and Honey 1 Ribs

JoelF, in the comments asks what kind of "chew" one gets at Honey 1. My reply is below:

You need your teeth for Honey 1, but as I say, your teeth will quite enjoy themselves. There is no gnaw to the ribs though, yet they are hardly "falling off the bone." To be more exact, your teeth will first encounter a "wiv-crisp" layer, about one millimeter thick. This will provide just enough resistance to let you know you have encountered wood grilled meat. Then, your teeth will sink into a gorgeous depth of lubed up pork meat where they will stay for a few seconds. Finally, you will pull away, not with a struggle but with a happy force and take the meat down your gullet, where it will leave your entire tract coated with smoke and fat. Repeat until stuffed.

The hardest issue with BBQ is having it in the right state. The maximum Honey 1 experience will come from calling Mr. Adams and knowing the time YOUR ribs will be ready.

As to sauce, a lot of people have raved about Honey 1's sauce. I've found it nothing special. I was very happy with the meat plain. I am anxious, however, to try the ribs and tips with my favorite local sauce (and perhaps the best tip ever to come from Chowhound) Tapatio hot sauce. I did find the peach soda sold at Honey 1 to be a great accord with the meal.

No comments: