Tuesday, April 27, 2004

La Quebrada Update

I've written long and hard on La Quebrada on Chowhound, for instance here, here, here, and here. I told the Slow Food people it was the single greatest restaurant in Chicago, but few believed me. I'm not sure why. Nevertheless, I try to post only occasionally on the place.

Thankfully, I have a new reason to post. They've updated their menu. Gone is the desk-top publishing disaster. Gone, the eye straining squiggles and lines and no-contrast reds and blues. In place, a laminated color menu that almost sez Denny's. Gone also, are a few of my favorite dishes. Gone, the filete de res Acapulco combination that allowed for a great sampling of Quebrada fare: steak, unearthly-good quesadilla and picadita; gone the combination Ahuehapan, the un-pronounceable grouping of meat, cactus, pico de gallo and guacamole; finally, gone, Ms. VI's favorite, calamari in spicy sauce. In place, the dish I had on my very first visit, steak india--think Aztec curry. Also in, a few dishes "Campestre" with a "special sauce". I am anxious to learn of this special sauce. For all its fans, barbacoa de chivo estilo Telolapan remains. In summary, somethings have left, somethings have returned and somethings new are here to try. It still may be the best restaurant in the Chicago area.

Note, on Chowhound, there was a question of whether various restaurants called La Quebrada were related, primarily 'cause a lot of people think of the Cicero mothership as a meat place, but the Tribune called the Aurora location a seafood restaurant. Well, the new menu shows five La Quebrada locations:

4859 W. Roosevelt
Cicero
708-780-8110

3818 W. 63rd
Chicago
773-585-9943

5100 S. California
Chicago
773-737-4575

2906 W. Cermak
Chicago
773-277-7198

723 S. Broadway
Aurora
630-896-2535

No comments: