Sunday, September 24, 2006

Disorganization

Bread in Chicago

I'm very interesting in knowing about bread in Chicago and finding the best of breads. I said I'd write about it. I guess I did not say when.

So, the story continues.



First up, one of my favorites. There are several in the class that is Italian mass-market: Turano, Gonnella, D'Amato's. I find people tend to ignore this one. Should not. I think the picture gives a good indication of the heff in this crust. It's a heavy, solid bread that will last several days. It's weakness, like so many around these parts, too dry in the crumb. Liborio breads are available at the versions of Caputos in Elmwood Park and Melrose Park. I'm not sure where else. Overall, a solid B.

PS
I forgot to mention another site with resources on Chicago bread. Gemma used to do more of a job covering bread in Chicago, but even without the bread reports, her site is so damn pretty--look through her archives.

Update
I fixed the link to Pro Bono Baker as I do not think it was taking you to the main page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Man, can you send one to Cleveland for me? I just got hungry again.