Friday, September 29, 2006

Bread in Chicago - II


When I was last poking and prodding bread in Chicago, I had a bread that was Kevlar hard. Today's bread, from Turano is very much the opposite (summing up the issue with Chicago breads, too something).

Too soft. You could easily ball up a loaf of this Turano bread and play indoor soccer. It is not a bad bread, now. It tastes fresh. It just lacks anything approaching a crust.

I realized after two efforts that letter grades would not work--I already fear that Liborio's B is too high. Therefore, like Dom's beef rankings at Skillet Doux, I will simply rank the breads against each other. Here's the scale to date:
  1. Liborio
  2. Turano

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Labriola breads?

VI said...

I have (and think they can be pretty good), but the "official" ranking/review must come when I have some in the house.

Note, I do have another bread review coming soon.

Anonymous said...

If you are in the Alsip area, you can pick some up at the bakery. I think it is some of the best in Chicago. You may have to call ahead and they will have it held. I've never done it because I'm never down that way. Wild Bean carries it though.