Monday, April 04, 2005

Sites that add value

Note, I have been out of town, eating away at Milwaukee. I will catch up on posting soon. One thing that I needed to post on sooner, was on three foodie sites that add value. I saw these sites, and I started wondering what do I do. I eat out a lot. A lot. Then, write about it. Hopefully, my sharing of this eating helps people eat a bit better as well (or at least sparks mild ammusement). But these sites really add value.

Erik M's Silapaahaan.com adds value by bringing the Thai menu to the masses, both by translating the menus and photographing the dishes. I am perhaps, the last person to get on to this site and surely the last to offer my words of appreciation for what he has done to help the eater in Chicago (as well as to applaud the overall design and artfullness of the site). (As far as I know) Calvin Trillin first put words to paper on the secret menu, about a chowhound's saddness of not getting the good stuff, not being able to read the wall menus, forever being locked out of the most delicious. Since then, others have talked about secret menus, but Erik did something. If you like Thai food go to his site. Even if you do not live in Chicago, the site will be useful.

I do not know the Pro Bono Baker the way I know Erik M, but I appreciate her blog. My all to present girth reveals too much, my love of bakeries. Give me a prime aged porthouse or a good donut or piece of bread, and yes, I will probably enjoy more the latter. I have never contemplated the Atkins diet. So, I go a lot to bakeries. And I have written a fair amount of commentary on them. PBB blows me away with her details and photographs of various bakeries.

I kinda know Steve P. We have spared more than a couple of times on his foodie site, OA. Steve's more of an absolutist, and he is entirely confident in what he thinks. All the logic in the world is not gonna shake him from his conviction that French food is not THE best, period. I'm a little more flexible and a little more agnostic in my tastes than Steve. That's getting off the point. What Steve really does, is eat the best and drink the best. Yes, one can be jealous and hateful of his good fortune, but on the other hand, someone has to do it. With his exacting tones and eye for details, Steve P expands your food view.

No comments: