Friday, April 02, 2004

Chowhound is Not Free

There is an incredible and highly inane thread on Chowhound's site talk board on paying for Chowhound. Ironically, the person most insistent on NOT paying acknowledges what others do not, that Chowhound does not consider itself free. As Chowhound "Big-Dog", Jim Leff, sez, " We are not a free site. We charge...on the honor system. And because a certain number of users don't shirk this system, the site is open today. Tomorrow I can't promise." While only a fraction of its users pay, Chowhound feels every user should pay. Frankly, people should understand and acknowledge this fact. [ed. you should make clear that this is VI's opinion not Chowhound's]

I do not post or read Chowhound nearly as much as I once did, but I still read it at least a few times a day. As a user, I am expected to pay. Thus, I sent in a Goodwill payment today. If you use Chowhound at all, to read or to post, you should pay too. At least that's what I think.

No comments: