Monday, February 04, 2008

What's In Season Now, Chicagoland - February

New Vital Information Feature

To those eating local, you should/could find these foods available this month:

Updated 2/13/08
Beef, lamb, chicken, pork - Winter markets; farm direct, Internet/Freshpicks.com
Grains - Winter markets, farm direct
Eggs - Winter markets, farm direct, grocery, Freshpicks.com
Farm raised tilapia - Winter markets
Farm raised rainbow trout - Grocery
Great Lakes fish - pike, whitefish, pearch, white bass, lake trout, carp - Grocery, speciality stores
Microgreens, sprouts and related - Winter markets, Freshpicks.com
Lettuces - Winter markets, farm direct, Freshpicks.com
Arugula - Winter markets, farm direct, Freshpicks.com
Carrots - Winter markets, farm direct, Freshpicks.com
Cabbage - Winter markets, Freshpicks.com
Potatoes - Winter markets, farm direct, grocery, Freshpicks.com
Apples - Winter markets, farm direct, grocery
Herbs - Winter markets, farm direct, Freshpicks.com
Mushrooms - Winter markets, Grocery, Freshpicks.com
Onions - Winter markets, farm direct, grocery
Burdock root - Freshpicks.com
Horseradish - Freshpicks.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out www.freshpicks.com for local veggies, meat, dairy, etc.

VI said...

Note, I am not opposed to Irv and Shelly's Fresh Picks, nor do I specifically endorse them. I've no specific experience with them.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I believe you have joined my Yahoo Group for Chicago Locavores? Anyway, I just wanted to post a comment on this, both to say HI and to say that I have had one delivery so far from Irv and Shelley and found it to be a pleasant experience. I only got produce at the time, but I am considering trying some of their meat for my next order. I did write them an e-mail asking about ingredients in the bacon they offer but have received no response yet. I'll be letting the Yahoo Group know how the next delivery from them goes.

Cheers!
Nina
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagolocavores/