Thursday, May 11, 2006

Seek This Out
(or $3.69 Very Well Spent)


Pudding z owocami-wisnie at Avenue Food Mart


Also know as pudding with cherries or cherry cake. Actually a babka, or yeast cake, in a aluminum round mold. I'm no baker, so maybe I should not say this, but I always feel that yeast cakes are cheating a bit. Those little microbes do all the hard work to make the cake fluffy, light and moist. And $3.69. Get two!

Avenue Food Mart is near the top of my favorite Polish supermarkets. It is one of many new school supermarkets that have opened in Chicago in recent years, combining the best of ethnic markets with the scale and presentation of a supermarket. Like any Polish market worth its salt, it has a great selection of deli meats. I swoon over the six or so kinda headchease, including ones dedicated just to tongue or just to ears even if I would never order. I do frequently get the turkey, the various hams, the Hungarian salami, and different cheeses. They offer two versions of pickled herring, in winegar [sic] and oil. With value, they weigh and price the herring, then add a good amount of onion garnish. There is Amish organic chicken and really fantastic sour pickles--maybe the best I have had in Chicago. It is a place worth seeking.

Avenue Food Mart
6850 W. Belmont
Chicago, IL
773-286-0606

No comments: