Sunday, January 30, 2005

Le Coq Again

Another recent meal at Le Coq. I started with the salad lyonaise, which I have had there before. I like this salad of curly endive, not over-cooked bacon (a bit too thin this time to be lardons), runny poached egg (to be incorporated over the salad) and mustard vinaigrette, but I would have liked it a lot more if they used about six less ounces of dressing. I moved on to the cassolet special, which was not so much cassolet but grilled meats and a pot of beans. Still good, especially the crisped up duck confit leg, but the lamb chop and garlic sausage were not far behind. The Condiment Queen had a stellar if unconventional bouillabaisse. Mostly shellfish, clams, scallops, mussels, in a large platter, with broth acting as a moat, a couple of croutons as drawbridges, and a large swirl of rouille as, I'm not sure where the metaphor goes. She loved it, finishing it all. Neither of us got dessert, but I took a nibble of carmel soaked spice cake order by one of our dining companions. Carmelicious.

We had a bottle of Chapoutier Crozes Hermitage (1999). More nicely biodynamic wine. I thought this was one not as luxuriously heavy as the Cote du Rhone we had by the glass a few weeks ago (but still good). Sometimes more expensive wines are not better wines!

No comments: